We are pleased to announce that Dennis Doering, Grant Elementary Custodian, is our winner of the NPS Award for Excellence for January 2022.
Thank you, Dennis Doering, for your dedication, hard work, and service to our students, staff, and the NPS community!
Listed below are excerpts from some of the submitted narratives of Mr. Doering's nomination:
- Dennis Doering goes above and beyond to make Grant shine. This is no ordinary task because Grant is no ordinary school. While most people may look at Grant as one of the “older” elementary schools, Mr. Doering sees the character, the dedication, and most of all, the possibilities. He comes to school each day with a smile, a laugh, and determination. Mr. Doering never stands still. He is always scrubbing, polishing, waxing and most importantly, noticing. He notices the details and takes care of them. He walks around with glass cleaner in his back pocket! There is no task too small or too big for Mr. Doering. His latest gift to Grant is the ceiling tiles. He has painted several ceiling tiles. They are incredible! One of his best talents is the relationships he has with the students. Mr. Doering builds them up each time he talks with them. The students walk away smiling and feeling connected. He notices the students. He shows them that they have value to him.
- NPS has a number of people who take pride in their building, but no one has more pride in his building than Dennis Doerring. Although he has only worked at Grant for less than 6 months, he's literally lived across the street for over 20 years! Dennis is incredibly proactive; he notices--at completes--things that need to be done before anyone else even notices that the thing needed to be done! He is welcoming and friendly to all of our visitors, construction guys, parents, and staff. He wants feedback on the things he's doing and what he can get better at.
- Dennis has a heart for kids, as you can readily tell if you watch him interact with students in the lunchroom or in the hallways. Dennis Doerring is new to our district, but he is definitely one person we should celebrate and thank for his stellar service to NPS.
- Dennis Doering deserves the “Award for Excellence.” In the short time he has been a custodian at Grant, he has gone above and beyond to do a thorough job keeping Grant clean (dusting light fixtures, washing windows, fixing screens, keeping sanitizer bottles filled, keeping the construction site clear). He has contributed to our positive working environment (greets students, opens doors for teachers, sends staff positive greetings through email) and has completed building and maintenance requests in a timely manner.
- The work Dennis does every day and the manner in which he approaches his job is proof that he cares deeply for Good ‘ol Grant.
- Dennis adds positivity, laughter, and an amazing work ethic to our staff. Dennis naturally connects with students each day and for many, he is the only positive male role model they see. Thank you, Dennis, for not only shining the floors, but for all of the ways you shine in our lives. We are very lucky to have you in our Grant family.
- Mr. Doering has been an amazing addition to our Grant staff this year! He shows a positive attitude towards staff and students, greeting everyone he meets in the morning! He takes time to build the rapport with students! He has made a difference at Grant Elementary, even with construction going on in our building, Grant Elementary SHINES! Dennis is constantly cleaning and doing the extra at our school! He takes time to check in with teachers and even asks if there is anything that we see that needs to be done!
- Mr. Doering came to Grant Elementary this year and has been an amazing member of our staff. His cheerful and upbeat personality puts a smile on the faces of students and staff alike. He continually goes above and beyond to keep our building clean and running smoothly. Dennis works hard every day and notices the little things in the building that need to be done.
Dennis received his award at the Board of Education meeting on Monday, January 10, 2022.
Please congratulate Dennis on this well-deserved award!