What is reading fluency, and how can we help students increase their reading fluency? Reading fluency is the ability to read with speed, accuracy, and proper expression. Why is building reading fluency so important? Better fluency leads to greater understanding.
The students that come to Mrs. Wiese’s room have been working on building their fluency through the Lexia Core 5 program, as well as fluency folders. Students have been given a weekly challenge to meet their goals for usage time and units completed. They are also taking home fluency folders to practice throughout the week. The folders include word lists, as well as passages at the students’ levels.
10 Ways to improve reading fluency
1. Read aloud to children to provide a model of fluent reading.
2. Have children listen and follow along with audio recordings.
3. Practice sight words using playful activities.
4. Let children perform a reader’s theater.
5. Do paired reading.
6. Try echo reading.
7. Do choral reading.
8. Do repeated reading.
9. Practice “scooping” phrases.
10. Have your students do a lot of reading – at a level they can read independently.