Grant Elementary School History
In 1885 the old school was built on the corner of 11th and Phillip Avenue which is now the current Grant playground. Old Grant was a 6 room, 2 story brick building with bell tower. It was the first modern school in Norfolk. In 1955 after 70 years of service to the community Old Grant was torn down.
A new Grant school was constructed in 1932 at 1106 Phillip Avenue. In 1956, a 2 story wing was added to this building. then in 1993 a renovation was completed to add a media-computer room, handicapped accessible restrooms, and office space. Another addition and renovation was completed in 2006 to add a first floor gym and classrooms.