On 3/27/2020, NHS Students and families received the following message from Mr. Derek Ippensen, Norfolk Senior High School Principal:
I hope this note finds you safe and healthy. While the times are uncertain, we are now able to provide a little insight into how we are going to manage the learning process for the rest of the semester. We have received a number of calls and emails with questions. Most of the questions are answered here.
Grades and Reassessment:
- Any assessments given on or before March 13 will count toward a student’s grade for the semester. All students may reassess over any material they were assigned pre-March 13th to improve their second semester grade. Students who missed tests will not be required to make them up, but may choose to do so to improve their grade. Contact your teacher for more details.
- Any students who were failing a class as of March 13 will be given opportunities to reassess to earn a passing second semester grade. Failing students and their parents have been contacted directly regarding failing grades. If you need additional information please contact your teacher for more details.
- Students will have until 12:00 noon on May 21st to complete their reassessments.
- Any long-term projects that were assigned prior to March 13 with future due dates may be turned in to improve grades. Students who have not completed these projects will not be required to do so. If a student chooses to not complete these projects they will not count against a student’s grade. Contact your teacher for more details.
- Dual Credit and AP courses are a unique situation because of our relationships with multiple institutions. Please contact your teacher for more specific instructions.
- As we move forward with enrichment learning activities, teachers will review and provide feedback. Some grades may appear in the gradebook as a formative grade and will not count toward the semester grade but allow students to track their learning.
Early Graduation: The Nebraska Commissioner of Education expects continued learning for all students through the end of the school year. To meet this expectation, all students enrolled in a second semester class will finish the semester. There will be no early graduations for students scheduled in second semester classes.
Graduation Ceremony: We want to celebrate with the graduating class of Norfolk High School and are considering all our options to make this happen. If we are unable to reschedule our traditional graduation ceremony, because of health restrictions, we will consider other ways to celebrate our graduates and recognize this special milestone for our students and families.
Item Pick up and Drop off: We know there are many personal items remaining at the high school that students need to take home (locker items, band instruments, etc.). We also know that some school issued items have been taken home, and will not be used the remainder of the year, and these items need to be returned to the high school (uniforms, equipment, etc.). Chromebooks should not be returned at this time. To accommodate these scenarios we have scheduled item pick up and drop off days.
Norfolk Senior High School schedule:
Pick up and drop off will occur between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- Monday, March 30: Last names beginning with letters A through D
- Tuesday, March 31: Last names beginning with letters E through K
- Thursday, April 2: Last names beginning with L through Ri
- Friday, April 3: Last names beginning with letters Ro through Z
PICK UP: Students and their families will not be allowed into the building. Student identification must be shown in order to receive personal belongings. This will be a drive-thru setup with prepared bags of items labeled for each student. We will take care of gathering up all of the items from multiple locations and lockers throughout the school. School items (such as textbooks, library books, etc.) will be retained at the school and all personal belongings will be returned to you. If you have items in a specific classroom please contact your classroom teacher. Any apparel that has been ordered will also be included in the students individual bag(s).
Students may pick up items in the parking lot near Door 1.
DROP OFF: Item drop off will be held at Door 15, in the southwest parking lot. Drop off items are to be in a bag with your name on the outside of the bag. Students may drop off any uniforms, equipment, or school issued items, not including Chromebooks. Textbooks, library books, Chromebooks, and school-owned instruments will be collected at the end of the school year.
If you are unable to attend your item pick up/drop off day, please contact the office to schedule an appointment.
WiFi: Sparklight is providing free wifi at the high school in the southwest staff parking lot near the small gym (between doors 14/15). Parking spaces closest to the light pole next to the building will have the best access. The open WiFi to search for is "Sparklight" and/or "SparkLight 5G." Up to ten concurrent users can expect to successfully access at one time. Please reserve this for education use.
This and more information has been updated on the school website. If you have any other questions, please feel free to call me at 402-644-2529 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Principal, Norfolk Senior High School