Effective 3/25/2020, Norfolk Public Schools will be engaging in home-based learning opportunities during the COVID-19 school building shutdown. This process will continue until health and school officials determine it is the right time for classes to resume in school buildings.
We miss our students and wish we could all be together to continue learning. Luckily, we have the opportunity to use technology and home-based learning to continue our school year in a new way. We know you have questions and to be honest we have some too. We will need to all work together, school staff and families, to make this process as smooth as possible. If along the way you have questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact your teacher or school principal via email. Above all else, we wish everyone good health during this time and look forward to seeing students as soon as possible.
GRADE LEVEL COMMUNICATION:
- INFORMATION FOR NORFOLK HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS AND FAMILIES
- INFORMATION FOR NORFOLK JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS AND FAMILIES
- INFORMATION FOR NORFOLK MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS AND FAMILIES
- INFORMATION FOR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (K-4) STUDENTS AND FAMILIES
On 3/18/2020, students and families received the following message from Mrs. Beth Nelson, Director of Teaching and Learning:
Home-Based Learning Opportunities, Starting March 25th
“The goal of our home-based learning opportunities is to keep our students engaged in the learning process throughout our school closure. Students will not be expected to learn new/difficult material at home by themselves. Learning materials will focus on review and enrichment opportunities, to help students and provide them with a sense of normalcy. We understand that this is a very different learning situation than students are used to, and we do not want it to harm students’ grades.” - Dr. Jami Jo Thompson, Superintendent
Initially, two weeks of learning materials will be provided. It will involve a collection of learning opportunities based upon student’s grade level, courses/content and special circumstances. The delivery of the learning opportunities will include traditional, paper packets for grades PK-4 and a combination of online Google Classroom activities and paper packet materials for grades 5-12. Students at all grade levels who do not have internet access will be provided a traditional, paper/pencil option. Special arrangements and assistance will be provided for students who are at risk of failing and risking graduation.
After 2 weeks this situation will be re-evaluated and adjustments will be made if necessary.
WEDNESDAY, March 25th will be the first formal pick up for Chromebooks and paper packets as specified below. You can find more detailed information on the NPS website with Home-Based Learning Opportunities Questions and Answers.
- SENIOR HIGH Pick up time: 10:00 a.m-12:00 p.m. & 1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m. at the front office. If your student is not able to access Google Classroom via the internet, please call ahead so we can prepare a packet based upon your student’s schedule.
- JUNIOR HIGH Pick up time : 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. & 1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m. at the front office. If your student is not able to access Google Classroom via the internet, please call ahead so we can prepare a packet based upon your student’s schedule.
- MIDDLE SCHOOL Pick up times: 5th and 6th Gr Team 1: 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m., 5th and 6th Gr Team 2: 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m., 5th and 6th Gr Team 3: 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m., 5th Gr Team 4 and anyone who could not make the above times: 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- ELEMENTARY Pick up times: 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. & 1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m. at the front office of each building.
- PRESCHOOL Pick up times: 7:45-8:45 a.m. & 2:00-4:00 p.m. at the front office of the building.
If we continue in an alternative educational setting after April 6th, a similar pick up schedule will be followed. Parents will be contacted by email and phone calls via Infinite Campus to verify the details.