Norfolk Public Schools is excited to announce that Norfolk High School has been awarded a College Access Grant through the EducationQuest Foundation. Norfolk Senior High School will receive $80,000 over four years to support college access programming.
Mrs. Kendra Marshall, Guidance Counselor at NHS, told us, “We are absolutely thrilled to be a recipient of this grant from EducationQuest. These funds will provide us outstanding opportunities to promote post-secondary education to our graduating students. It will give us a lot of options to help the young adults at NHS explore their plans for the future”.
Some of the events planned for the next four years include, but are not limited to:
- College Visits and College Tours
- Career & College Access Day - During this morning event, 300+ students in Grade 10 rotate through activities focused on college and career readiness. Some rotations that the students visit include:
- Mock Interviews - local business and industry leaders volunteer their time to conduct mock interviews with individual students. At the conclusion of the interview they provided valuable feedback to the student regarding their performance.
- College Presentations - students attend presentations given by colleges and universities regarding college admission standards, participating in college campus visits, and expectations for incoming college students.
- Career Interest Assessments - These assessments are given to provide insight to students regarding their potential career strengths. Working in cooperation with the NHS Guidance Office, NHS Career Academy, and teachers in their areas of strength, the student can take this information and explore their career opportunities for their future.
- Senior Panel - Senior students shared with the underclassmen the opportunities that are available to them over the next few years and how important that discovery process was in helping them make plans for their future.
- Financial Aid and College Entrance Exam informational sessions
- #Apply2College Day - This “one-stop-shop” in the NHS gym allows Seniors to visit with multiple representatives from colleges, complete college applications in an environment where they can ask questions, complete the FSA ID process, fill out a transcript release, and get excited about college!